Employee Reference Guide

The information below is provided as a general reference to help our employees. We value your commitment to the Facilities Services team. Please contact KU Operations or Human Resources if you have any questions.

Contact KU Operations

Contact Human Resources

The information contained in this guidebook is provided only as a convenient reference for Facilities Services employees. University employment is subject to all applicable laws, regulations, minutes and resolutions of the State of Kansas, the Kansas Board of Regents, and the University. This book is not intended to be a comprehensive statement of those laws, regulations, minutes and resolutions, which are the official source and shall take precedence in the event of any conflict.

The information contained in this guidebook does not establish any fixed terms or conditions of employment, nor does it create an express or implied contract between the University and any employee or guarantee employment for any specific duration.

The content of this guidebook may be modified or discontinued from time to time. It is your responsibility as an employee to review University and Kansas Board of Regents policies and procedures and to request any clarification from your supervisor or Human Resources regarding those policies and procedures.

Designated Facilities Services staff are covered by the Memorandum of Agreement between the State of Kansas, University of Kansas, Lawrence Campus and Laborers’ International Union of North America Public Service Employees’ Local Union #1290 P.E. Nothing in this general reference is intended to supersede the terms of the Memorandum of Agreement.

Time and Leave

All employees are required to report to work at their scheduled time as attendance has a direct impact on the ability for FS to provide services in support of the mission of the University. A supervisor may consider an employee's attendance record when selecting staff for initial hire, or when granting regular status, transfer, or promotion. Misuse of leave privileges, excessive leave use, unexcused absences or a pattern of failure to report for or remain at work may be grounds for corrective disciplinary action.

Please see the KU Policy Library, Human Resource Management, or contact KU Operations HR at 785-594-5597 for more specific information on the following areas: work practices, attendance violations, tardiness, no – call/no-show, unjustified absence, failure to remain on duty, excessive absence, discipline guidelines for attendance violations, and attendance during probationary period.

As a condition of employment, employees are expected to report for work and remain on duty during scheduled work hours. When an employee is unable to report or may be late for work, the employee must contact the immediate supervisor or other designated person, preferably before the start of the scheduled work shift. Failure to report to work and to contact your supervisor within the first 30 minutes of your shift is considered an incident of “no-call, no- show” and may result in disciplinary action.

Except in emergency situations, employees are expected to make the contact personally, give an estimated length of absence and explain reasons for the absence or lateness. When away from work for more than one day, the employee must contact the supervisor before every scheduled shift unless the absence is approved in advance by the supervisor. In addition, employees must request permission from a supervisor to leave the work site during a scheduled shift.

Your supervisors will provide you information regarding approved methods of contact and information for you to communicate with them if you are unable to report to work or will be delayed in arriving to work. Approved methods of contact might include telephone calls, text messages, or email messages. It is your responsibility to personally make contact with your supervisor (or the supervisor’s designee) except in emergencies. Do not have a member of your family or a friend call unless you cannot use the telephone (for phone calls and texts) or computer or mobile device (for emails).


If you are contacting your supervisor by phone and he or she does not answer the phone call, you should leave a voice mail message including a phone number where you can be reached by return call if your supervisor needs to speak with you to clarify a detail concerning your absence. If your supervisor has determined text messages or email messages are acceptable methods of contact to report intended absences, you must be able to receive a return text message or email message, either to the phone number or email address from which you made contact, or you must provide an alternate phone number or email address where you can be reached.

It is not acceptable for you to leave a voice, text, or email message and not be available to receive a return call, text, or email. If you cannot leave contact information by which your supervisor can communicate with you, it will be necessary for you to attempt to contact your supervisor by phone until you make contact.

Staff may generally take an on-site 15-minute work break for each half-day worked at the time and place determined by your supervisor. Breaks may not be added to a meal period or the end of a day in order to leave early. Staff are not allowed to use food preparation or serving areas, and public lounges or TV areas in the residence halls for breaks. Persons on break may not interfere with the continuing work of other employees.

If you are eligible for overtime and you work more than 40 hours in a week, you will earn 1.5 hours for every hour over 40 which is added to your compensatory time balance at the end of the payroll period. The University policy provides compensatory time. This compensatory time is available the following payroll period to be used or be requested to be paid out. The payout request is done by submitting an Absence Request using Absence Type of Payouts at hr.ku.edu. Compensatory time will be automatically paid out for any hours over the maximum balance of 90. All overtime must have the prior approval of the employee’s immediate supervisor.

All requests for time off must be requested through your supervisor and an electronic request must be entered in the payroll system by Facilities Services HR. Whenever possible, all requests for time off should be made at least two weeks in advance, but supervisors may make exceptions for requests made with less notice for unavoidable reasons. Supervisors will consider the needs of the unit and other factors, such as attendance records, when approving time off.

Full-time, benefits-eligible employees earn 3.7 hours of sick leave per pay period with no limit to the number of hours accumulated. Full-time, benefits-eligible employees earn 8 hours vacation per pay period, up to a maximum of 16 hours per month and 176 hours per fiscal year. An employee can carry a balance of vacation up to 304 hours at the end of each pay period.

Sick leave can only be used for personal illness/injury or for that of a family member who requires your care. Sick leave may also be used for your personal medical appointments or for your family member’s medical appointment for which you must be present. Your supervisor may ask for documentation for approved use of sick leave.


Vacation leave can be used for any type of absence. Paid leave time may also be available for jury duty, funerals/bereavement, and active military duty. The amount of leave granted in these cases will be decided on a case-by-case basis.

All benefits-eligible University Support Staff (USS) and University Professional Staff employees are eligible for paid holidays. In addition, USS and overtime-eligible UPS employees who are required to work on a state holiday will be paid their regular hourly rate or salary for that day. In addition, they may decide to receive either holiday comp time – 1.5 hours for every hour worked – or premium pay, which is 1.5 times the regular hourly rate. UPS employees not eligible for overtime will are not eligible to receive premium pay and will receive holiday comp time at 1 times the hours worked. A list of paid holidays is available on the HRM website.

In accordance with University policy, when an employee of Facilities Services is offered an on-campus interview as a result of a job application, the employee will be granted release time if the interview will take place during the employee’s regular shift and assuming the employee and supervisor can agree on a time which will not be a problem for the work unit. If you do not want to inform your supervisor of the specific purpose of your absence, you may request leave time in advance through regular Facilities Services procedures. Supervisors are encouraged to be as flexible as possible when granting requests for time away from work for job interviews at the University. In any case, job interviews away from campus will require the employee to request appropriate leave in advance.

Safety, Security & Health

The safety and security of university buildings and persons on campus, particularly the safety of students in residential buildings, must be given the highest priority. Therefore, employees who are authorized to carry keys are expected to safeguard them at all times. Employees who lose keys must report the loss immediately to their supervisor, indicating both when and where the keys were first noticed as missing. Depending on the specific key(s) lost, the employee may be allowed time to search for the keys before lock changes are made. The amount of time allowed to search for the keys will be determined by Facilities Services Human Resources. If the keys are not found in that time, disciplinary action may be proposed. Contact Facilities Services Human Resources for more information.

Facilities Services vehicles must be driven only by state employees on official business. Passengers must also be state employees or on state business. Smoking, including electronic cigarettes, and tobacco use of any kind is prohibited in all Facilities Services vehicles.

A Facilities Services employee who is involved in a vehicular accident while operating a state- owned vehicle must report the accident to his or her supervisor immediately. Facilities Services staff must also file a report with the Facilities Services Garage to be submitted to KU’s liability insurance provider. Appropriate contacts must be made with the KU Public Safety or Lawrence Police and the proper reports must be filed in a timely fashion. If a Facilities Services employee who is responsible for a state-owned vehicle is involved in an accident in which Facilities Services determines the employee is at fault and the damage amount exceeds $1,000, Facilities Services may propose a one-day disciplinary suspension without pay. In addition to the dollar amount, other situational factors may be considered to determine if disciplinary action, and what level, should occur. If an employee who is responsible for a state-owned vehicle is involved in an accident and fails to report that accident, whether judged to be at fault or not, Facilities Services will propose a one-day suspension without pay. Exceptions to this policy may only be made by the Director of Facilities Services. Future accidents caused through negligence on the part of the employee will be followed by a more severe disciplinary action.

When an employee is assigned to safeguard property or equipment belonging either to Facilities Services or another University department, and that property or equipment is lost, damaged or stolen through action or neglect on the part of the employee, Facilities Services will immediately review the circumstances to determine whether disciplinary action is appropriate. Damage of $1,000 or more may result in the proposal of a one-day suspension without pay. In addition to the dollar amount, other situational factors may be considered to determine if disciplinary action, and what level, should occur.

In all cases, related information such as the prior record of the employee, any specific or unusual circumstances surrounding the loss or damage, and/or recommendations from the supervisor, etc., will be considered. Repeated incidents of loss or damage to property or incidents involving serious loss or damage may result in disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.

All Facilities Services employees are required to carry official KU identification badges at all times, and ID badges should be displayed prominently. ID badges may be obtained from the KU Card Center in the Kansas Union. The first ID badge is provided to the employee at no cost, but employees will be charged $15 for replacement cards. Facilities Services may pay to replace an ID badge if it is damaged due to normal work usage, subject to the approval of the Facilities Services Director.

Occasionally it is necessary to cancel classes or curtail other campus operations because of weather conditions. In the event that severe weather is likely to cause travel delays for employees, the chancellor or provost and executive vice chancellor may implement the Inclement Weather Policy. The Inclement Weather Policy is intended to accommodate the needs of employees for additional time in traveling to and/or from work. A declaration of an inclement weather emergency is a separate issue from cancellation of classes. There may be instances when although classes are cancelled, an inclement weather emergency is not declared. The governor has delegated to the chancellor and the presidents of the other Regents universities the authority to determine that a weather emergency exists for their campuses. Inclement weather declarations issued by the governor's office do not affect KU employees.

During periods of inclement weather or other emergency conditions, essential emergency services must still be provided. Essential emergency services include but are not limited to maintaining building operations, clearing walkways, streets and parking lots, student residence hall services, and public safety. FS maintenance staff and custodial staff in residential zones have been designation as “weather essential” staff and will be required to report to work at their regularly scheduled work times unless the declaration of an inclement weather emergency from the Provost or Chancellor states that even “weather essential” staff are not required to report to work. Your supervisor should notify you if you are considered “weather essential.” You should ask your supervisor or Campus Operations HR if you have questions about your status.

Public Affairs will announce any emergency declaration via area news media (after 5:45 a.m.), the inclement weather line (785-864-SNOW after 6:00 a.m.), the KU home page and campus alerts website, and broadcast email and text message (during the workday). Hearing impaired individuals who have TTY/TDD equipment will be able to obtain information through the Kansas Relay Center (1-800-766-3777). Employees can register to receive text messages regarding weather and other emergencies by visiting the KU Alerts website.

If severe weather develops during the course of your shift, supervisors will communicate with staff and inform them whether or not staff will be required to remain at or work.

Employees are not allowed to take supplies or equipment off the premises of the University even if the intent is to “borrow” the items, tools, or equipment for a short period of time.

Removing items from offices, campus buildings, or from storeroom and shop areas constitutes theft. Any instance of employee theft will result in an appropriate range of disciplinary actions up to and including termination of employment. In addition, employees cannot “sort through” and remove discarded items while at work or after hours for personal use.

Smoking, including the use of electronic cigarettes or any future product that simulates or approximates tobacco use or smoking, and tobacco use are not permitted anywhere (indoors or outdoors) on the Lawrence or Edwards campuses, all other university sites reporting to the Lawrence campus, and at the facilities of Student Housing, the Kansas and Burge Unions, Athletics, and the KU Center for Research, Inc. (KUCR).  

Please see the full University policy regarding tobacco.

The University of Kansas prohibits the unlawful possession, use, manufacture, or distribution of alcohol or drugs by students or by employees on its property or as part of its activities. The University is committed to a program to prevent the illegal use of drugs and alcohol by students and employees. An employee found to be using, possessing, manufacturing, or distributing controlled substances or alcohol in violation of the law on University property or at University events shall be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with policies of the State of Kansas, the Board of Regents, and the University of Kansas. For employees, the University will take appropriate disciplinary action for such infractions, up to and including termination.

One of the most important responsibilities of promoting a safe working environment is to support an effective safety program that provides sufficient training and continuous resources for all employees. Regular, on-going safety training is provided for FS employees by supervisors and by Occupational Safety & Health Services.

An Injury Report is to be completed for all injuries, even those for which the employee does not seek treatment. Complete the Injury Report form on-line and submit it to Campus Operations HR within 24 hours. The Injury Report can be found on the FS employee portal under Safety Information.

If the injury occurs during normal business hours, is not severe in nature, as determined by the employee, and the injured employee wants to seek medical treatment, the injured employee's supervisor and/or the injured employee and the supervisor should contact the State Self Insurance Fund (SSIF) at 785-296-2364 to seek authorization prior to seeking any medical treatment. Once authorization from SSIF is received, the injured employee can contact the Business Health Center at Lawrence Memorial Hospital at 785-505-3114 to schedule an appointment. The employee or supervisor should Employees are not required to seek medical treatment following the report of an injury or illness. The injured employee should understand that without the prior authorization from SSIF to seek treatment, if the injury is determined to not be compensable by worker's compensation, the employee may be responsible for associated out of pocket expenses.

If the employee seeks treatment, he or she should be given an Injured Worker’s First Fill Prescription Form which will the employee will provide the pharmacy if a prescription is filled so the pharmacy will have the correct billing information. Without this form, the pharmacy may ask the employee to personally pay for the medication and the employee will have to then seek reimbursement.

The employee will need to determine at the time of the injury, based on the severity of the injury, if they should go to the emergency room or schedule an appointment, as detailed above, with the Business Health Center at Lawrence Memorial Hospital, or determine that medical treatment is not necessary. Regardless of whether an employee seeks medical treatment, the employee must report the injury to their supervisor.

If the nature of the employee's injury is serious or life threatening, or if the accident occurs after hours, and the employee determines medical treatment is necessary, the employee should proceed directly to the Lawrence Memorial Hospital Emergency Room, or the


emergency room nearest them, and notify them that the injury was work related. Please keep in mind that if the injury is not deemed to be work-related, the employee may be responsible for any costs not covered by the employee's health insurance plan for the emergency room visit. Additionally, injuries that did not result from or occur in the course of employment

activities may not be covered by workers’ compensation.


Employees must clean all work areas at the end of each shift. In the case of multi-day projects, the supervisor can determine which equipment may be left on site until completion of the work, but the area must be left clean and neat.

When Facilities Services employees are on-duty, it is not appropriate nor is it permitted for employees to meet or visit with persons who are not members of the campus community. Our buildings are on state property, but are not public buildings in the same way a museum or library is a public building. Visitors may not enter a building to look for an employee - the location for any meeting with an employee must either be arranged in advance in person or by phone or be approved by the employee’s supervisor.

If family members, friends, or business associates of Facilities Services employees wish to meet during unpaid breaks (lunchtime) they may do so; however, they may not remain on premises. Persons who do not have legitimate reasons for entering or remaining in buildings will be expected to leave when asked to do so. Failure to leave will result in a call to KU Public Safety and a request for an officer to escort the person(s) away from the building.

Employees are eligible for five work shirts per year from his or her last order-date. Facilities Services maintenance and custodial staff are required to either wear uniform shirts or a non-uniform shirt with their KU identification badge displayed prominently at all times. Under some circumstances, your supervisor may make exceptions to this requirement. For example, if the wearing of an ID badge presents a safety concern, your supervisor may require you to wear the Facilities Services uniform shirt. Staff will be allowed to wear shorts when the protection provided by full length pants is not required. Some examples of when leg protection will be required are weed whacking, using acid/base cleaners, working with hazardous chemicals, working with/around high temperature piping or steam, and work in poorly lit spaces, such as tunnels and mechanical rooms. It is expected that employees will use their good judgment and job knowledge in making this decision, and that supervisors, as necessary, will direct their employees when safety protection is necessary. Closed toe shoes must be worn at all times by maintenance and custodial staff.

All clothing must be clean and in good repair, i.e. no large rips, tears, or holes. Shorts must be longer than mid-thigh length. “Cut- off” jeans or shorts with pockets hanging below the hem are not appropriate. Please check with your supervisor or Facilities Services Human Resources if clarification is needed.

Feeding wildlife (birds, animals, etc.) near all campus buildings is strictly prohibited. Birds and small animals can do significant building damage when they are encouraged to live near areas where food is made available at feeder stations or where it is regularly provided on the ground. Failure of staff to comply with terms of this restriction policy may result in disciplinary action.